Larry's Blog Pages

December 22, 2009

Impossible is Possible

I have resisted posting much about my secondary sports passion, hockey, but I could not pass this one up. I used to follow the game very closely and continue to work in it at a pro level (for almost a decade) so it is hard to keep most of my postings geared toward multisport.

As a goalie in that sport I have always followed the players in that position with great interest. I started organized hockey too late to have any chance of a pro career but I used the NHL tenders on TV as coaches, trying to copy their various styles. I was not a stand up goalie (that is for sure) and I was not flexible enough to be a true butterfly goalie so Martin Brodeur's hybrid style was right up my alley. I do not like the Devils as a team but I continue to cheer on their goaltender as he makes his claim as the greatest of all time.

What Martin Brodeur achieved last night, versus the Pittsburgh Penguins no less, is simply one of the most amazing hockey records of the modern era. Terry Sawchuk's record of 103 Shutouts was long considered the most far fetched dream any player in the NHL could imagine. Well, that has changed and Martin re-wrote the record books last night with a convincing 4-0 win.

With each passing season, Mr. Brodeur climbed closer and closer to this major milestone, setting many of other records along the way including most wins, most minutes played and most games played. The last three were all previously held by the retired, Patrick Roy (I was never a big fan!).

Next up for the Canadian born back stop, the 2010 Vancouver Olympics and another shot at Gold. At the start of this season I was starting to doubt the selection of the 37 year old as his play was not up to his previous standards. An average 7-4 record during the first month of play, along with a very high GAA, he has settled into his usual consistent ways and now holds a 23-8-1 record with a 2.10 GAA and .921 save percentage. With Luongo not able to find his zone, it may be totally up to Martin to win the Gold in Vancouver.




No comments: