Larry's Blog Pages

October 24, 2009

Thumbs Up to the Elora Cataract Trailway

Today, on a family visit to the country side near Hillsburgh, I finally set out for a run on the trail I had seen several times on my gravel road jogs. I noticed the trail entrance at a few intersections along the way and it looked very well conditioned and maintained. I did not know what it was called until I searched for the name when I arrived home tonight.

Apparently, it is a 47km trail that was developed mainly on an old rail line. The Credit Valley and Grand River Conservation Authorities own the trail and it goes all the way from the east side of Elora to a small hamlet called Cataract, within the Forks of the Credit Provincial Park.

The portion I ran was a wide trail with a nice, fine gravel surface. I wanted to test out my XC spikes again and this trail was perfect for the run I wanted. It was mostly flat and the road and farmer's driveways are well marked and protected. That being, the gates that protect the trail are perfect for hikers, runners, cyclists (so you do not have to slow down to pass through) and they keep motor vehicles off the trail, until snow fall for snowmobiles.

I had a blast exploring the west end of Hillsburgh and want to complete the whole trail one of these days on my Cross Bike. From the section I experienced, I would highly recommend checking this little known gem out. I copied the website (that I have linked to below) for those interested and I hope you are able to enjoy this great resource just north of the GTA. I think you will be delighted by the scenic country side that winds through this portion of the province.


Elora Cataract Trailway Web Site

No comments: