Larry's Blog Pages

January 8, 2010

Swim Update

The one question I get more than any other these days is, "How is the swimming coming along?"

Well, to be totally honest, it has been a lot tougher than expected. Sure I can now swim for longer periods of time which is pretty neat as I was barely making it through 25m of freestyle in Aug/Sep 2009. I am now confident enough to make it through an Olympic distance swim without having to pull out the breast stroke. The problem is that swimming is so technical and I am wasting so much energy trying to go at an average pace.

Last night, I had a poor practice due to a lack of energy (the 30 minute tempo run that ended 4 minutes before the swim did not help, bad idea) and dehydration so I ended up exiting the water a little early to avoid being sick. The one good thing that came from this was that I was able to watch a few of the better swimmers with Hans and we picked out key elements in their stroke that I should work towards.


Coach Hans has been very good at pointing out a lot of my flaws and I really appreciate all the suggestions and tips he gives me at our Thursday night swims. Now I really need to get these pointers to work in my stroke. It is going to take time as there are so many areas of concentration for me to improve on and you can only do so many things in one session.

The good thing is that I know I can do it as my starting point was so aweful and I have managed to get to my current comfort level in the water, which is a minor win to me. I am going to stay positive and continue to work towards my secret goals in the water. Milton will be my first test in 2010 and I do not want to be one of the last athletes pulling into transition for my Age Group.

If I use my run and cycling work ethic, anything is within my reach.

Talk soon,
Larry

5 comments:

Syd Trefiak said...

One thing at a time is key. Focus on the important things then move onto the little ones.

Body position first. Then into body rotation. Then onto hand entry and catch. Then onto kick and stroke finish.

Don't worry about one, until you have the other. Remember to try and keep stroke count low.

So tough to critic without watching you swim! But I've seen enough runners swim to know what they look like! ;>

LARRY BRADLEY said...

Thanks Syd! If anyone knows me it is you. Usually, I need someone to bring me back down to earth, remind me about being patient.

How many hockey goalies have you seen swim? Not sure I would consider myself a runner, yet. HAHA

Unknown said...

Just wanted to say thanks for the inspiring blog. Last year I quit smoking and started working with a trainer and plan on doing my first try a tri (In Milton also btw)in the spring. Hope you don't mind my reading your blog, I need all the pointers and inspiration I can get-lol

Jen said...

Hi Larry,

If you want any swim help send me an email at jenamaral1@gmail.com

Jen

Bruce Bird said...

Larry,
You have come a long way already in the pool. It may not seem that way because you are working so hard at each workout and see small, little or no differences after each session. You said it - you now have the confidence to complete 1500m without switching strokes. That is a huge step. Congrats.