Larry's Blog Pages

September 14, 2011

Weekly Update

This weekend should be a blast as a large group of the FMCT Falcons are heading up to Collingwood to ride in the Centurion Canada event. We are jetting up Saturday to enjoy the atmosphere and then hitting the bikes Sunday morning. We have several folks in both the 50 miler and 100 miler distances so you should see a lot of our jerseys along the routes.

A few of us, plus some of the guys I know from duathlon and triathlon, hope to hang on with some of the quicker cyclists through this hilly adventure. This is going to make it tough but we have put in a bunch of solid training so we should do pretty good for hacks (as a number of the elite cyclists tend to think of us).
Another great Mid-Night Ride on a Fall Like Night

As we have built up for this event, and others like Tour de Terra Cotta, etc., a number of us have found a love for cycling and bike racing. This has us looking around for a local bike club that has a racing section attached to the membership. We have looked at several web sites and have a few groups in mind but would love to hear any suggestions. Some early possibilities are Mississauga Bike Racing Club and Kurzawinski Coach - Racing Team.
Chasing down my shadow on the Night Ride

On the running side of things, I have Scotia Bank Toronto Marathon coming up in mid October. I had been doing really well getting prepared for this but a slight groin pull/tear has made running difficult in the last week. It is fine during cycling efforts so I have reduced the running volume for a few days to let it get back to normal. It really is not a bad thing as I was going to give myself a little break to make sure my legs are ready for the 172k ride this weekend.

Hopefully, next week I can get back to a run focus and also hit some of the XC running races I have been looking at. Here are some of the races I had in mind and hope to be able to toe the starting line for...

Oct 2 – Taylor Creek 5K Cross Country - OMA Cross Country Series Race#1

Oct 16 – Ontario Masters Marathon Championships - Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon

Oct 30 - Sunnybrook 8K Cross Country - OMA Cross Country Series Race #3

Nov 6 - Hamilton Marathon????

Nov 13 – Ontario Masters Cross Country Championships – OMA Cross Country Series Race #4

Nov 20 - Winter Running Fest XC - Guelph

Those are my options right now. I will not be able to do all of them, even if I am healthy after the Centurion, so I highlighted the ones that seem to be more realistic but nothing is in stone at this point.

 Thanks for reading!
Larry

No comments: