Larry's Blog Pages

February 24, 2011

Frustrating Injury

It is coming up on 2 1/2 weeks now since I inured my upper back/neck area while training. What started out as a pinch like feeling in the shoulder blade has developed into much more and several physio sessions, some meds and lots of stretching have yet to cure the problem.

The burning pain in the nerve is very uncomfortable and makes it tough to sleep at night so that does not help the situation. I am trying to keep up with some of my cycling on the recumbent style stationary bike at the gym but it is just not the same. Running these days, is pretty painful so I have cut that out for now which really hurts as I experienced so much progress in the past few months. My upper body and core strength is also starting to fade as I have not been able to work on these exercises since the workout in which I first felt the pain.

Having gone through a very similar injury in 2007, I know just how long this can take to improve. Last time, I spent 3 months in physio before I was able to train again. The pain is a little less this time around but it still seems far from leaving my body. Hopefully, some miracle happens over night very soon and I wake up feeling 100% and ready to train as hard as I was just a few weeks ago.

As everyone knows, injuries are such a demoralizing part of the game as you feel that all your previous training efforts are drifting away. It is tough to stay positive during these stretches so I really appreciate all the support I have received.

Talk soon,
Larry

2 comments:

Luke Ehgoetz said...

Hang in there Larry and do what you can. Hopefully you'll be all fixed up for the warmer spring weather. If you had pick a time for an injury, at least February is a good month to have it.

Take care,
Luke

LARRY BRADLEY said...

Thanks Luke! Actually saw a chiro last Thursday after I wrote this. First time ever visiting one of these pros and man did it help. It is not 100% yet but my range of motion in my upper back is so much better. I was able to ride and run on the weekend so I was much happier! Going back today for some more cracking so I hope he gets the last of the stiffness out.

Hope you had a great weekend!
Larry